If you are looking for a new book to continue filling your commonplace book, a work by one of the most quoted authors of all time is a good place to start.
The most quoted authors were found by looking at the data on Goodreads of the most liked quotes.
- Jane Austen: Most famous for her work Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen is the most quoted author on Goodreads.
- William Shakespeare: It’s not hard to see why Shakespeare is number two on Goodreads for most quoted author. His most famous play is Romeo and Juliet (by a landslide).
- C.S. Lewis: Author of the Chronicles of Narnia series (the first book being his most popular) and of various other christian books, he is quoted quite often on Goodreads.
- A.A. Milne: Although Milne is perhaps not a household name, the book he’s most known for is: Winnie-the-Pooh.
- J.K. Rowling: Rowling is definitely a household name, responsible for the hit Harry Potter series that sparked a movie series of the same name (as well as a theme park).
- Robert Frost: His compilation of poems is what he is most famous for, under the title The Poetry of Robert Frost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Lord of the Rings series, he is arguably responsible for modern fantasy novels.
- Oscar Wilde: Author of a multitude of best-selling books, he is most known for his classic, The Picture of Dorian Gray.
- Jalaluddin Rumi: The famous Muslim poet is consistently one of the best-selling poets of all time, even in the United States, with his poems compiled in The Essential Rumi.
- Aristotle: The last on our top ten list, the polymath philosopher’s best-selling work is Politics, although he is also the author of The Nicomachean Ethics and Metaphysics (among others).
Hopefully this will give you some quality choices if you’re looking for a great next book to read. If you want to see the entire list of 89 authors (and counting) click here.